Tuesday, July 29, 2008

All Alone

The most obnoxious feeling in the world is to sit alone in a movie theatre. Fair amounts of folks go to the movies alone right... Nope. Just one last night - Me. I realized that although the movies are not a place to take someone you want to get to know, they are one of the worst places to take absolutely no one. Nicole wasn't there to talk with during the stupid slide show they show at the beginning and Zach wasn't there to urge me to pause the movie so mama could feed him (giving me the opportunity to grab a fudge-sicle from the freezer), so I sat there very awkwardly doing nothing but answering the movie trivia in my head. I watched the Dark Knight, which I thoroughly enjoyed, (a brilliant movie that I will see many more times - hopefully with someone this time) and then had to call Nicole to tell her how good it was without being able to say much because she wasn't there to see it. It was at that time that I realized that anything I would have the opportunity to do in Steamboat would be diminished by the fact that my other half isn't here. So I do very little.
To add to it I am missing a week of my son's life. This may not sound like much, but when you are 3 months and about 2 weeks, this ends up being roughly 1/14 of your life. He will be just fine, but I miss the little guy!
Things aren't all meloncholy here. I am enjoying doing something different (leak survey as opposed to reading meters) in some incredible surroundings. Today I walked along the tracks next to the Yampa river with a beautiful view of the green (and red - due to pine beetles) ski slopes. The weather is amazing and the work is good. Speaking of which, I need to try and get some sleep so I can start fresh tomorrow. I haven't been sleeping well - I blame it on the lack of static from the baby monitor. So until I return home...

No comments: